Saturday, August 28, 2010

I BLESS THE RAINS DOWN IN AFRICA

It's considered a blessing on this continent to "bring the rain" and I am happy to say that it POURED the first night we were in Uganda.  (and yes, we figured out in the morning--after we saw our room had flooded--that the windows do indeed close... oops.) The weather here is AMAZING though; I really can't explain how beautiful the sky is and HELLO NEXT TWO YEARS OF LIVING IN WEATHER THAT NEVER GETS BELOW 65 DEGREES OR ABOVE 85 DEGREES! I am LOVING living without electricity (pshh, who needs AC with this weather???) I sleep with the windows open, under a mosquito net of course (and yes mom, we are taking our malaria meds!) I have been with my homestay family for two weeks now, a mother and two older daughters.  They are all so sweet and speak English very well.  I am learning Runyoro-Rutooro (the language they speak in Western Uganda where I will be stationed at the end of training) which is great because my host mom knows Runyoro-Rutooro better than Luganda.  mpora, mpora nsoma Runyoro-Rutooro! (slowly, slowly I learn R/R!) The  no-running-water-thing is a bit of a challenge, but I've learned how to bucket bathe using less than 2 gallons of water AND how to hand wash my clothes (what! what! skillz!) Oh, and I haven't gotten sick yet, (THANK THE LORD!), but omg I am DREADING the pit latrine.  I know, I know, I've got to get over this eventually, JUST GIVE ME TIME. speaking of which, the food here is delicious: matooke, bananas, posha, avocadoes, beans, rice, jack fruit.  ohhh a poor nutrition major's fate to FINALLY be forced to eat all natural, healthy foods.  Oh, and I REALLY enjoy my fellow peace corps trainees.  We all just clicked instantly and are amazed that we have ONLY known each other for 2 weeks.  we just all get along so well.  There are 45 of us in all, split pretty evenly half boys, half girls.  and yes HOPEFULLY once things settle down a bit, I will be able to update this blog really frequently.  and if anybody wants to come to africa, DO IT! it's amazing.  I LOVE IT!!!! seriously, we see monkeys and huge birds and cows and longhorns and chickens EVERYWHERE.  (I might kill the rooster that lives outside my window and wakes me up at 4:30 every morning, but other than that, OBSESSED with everything else africa!) so yes, I think I'm definitely off to a great start, after all, we did bring the rains.  so go ahead, blast Toto on your computer.  you know you want to.  and to leave you with a little Runyoro-Rutooro: oikale kurungi na turaorongana! (stay well and we shall see each other!) weeraba!

7 comments:

  1. Maggieee!!! This post made me so happy! I'm so glad you're loving it but I miss you soooo much. I think it is so cool that you are learning some of that language and that you shower with less than two gallons of water. How do you splash your face 10 times!? I want to see pictures! I LOVE YOU keep having fun!! You are so brave and smart, I'm glad you're my BFFEL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this sweet friend!!!!! Oh im so filled with joy reading this :) I think about you lots and lots and tell everyone w/pride about my bff in the UGANDA. And I second Grace's demand for pictures!!! I also laughed out loud at the nutrition major bit. Can't wait to hear more, I'm writing you a letter as we speak..and I just might have to come visit you.

    LOVE YOU and MISS YOU EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!! but i am so happy and proud of you.

    LOVE love,

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. good to know you are taking your malaria meds! we love you and miss you tons and are SO very proud of you...
    love,
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this and I love you!! I LOL'd several times while reading this because I feel like I can actually hear you saying every word! Miss you tons but I'm so happy you are happy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. bahahahahahah i love how even though you're learning R/R you're still using words like SKILLZ. (WITH A Z) i miss you soo much and I am definitely coming to Africa! I already have all my shots and I'm thinking I need to branch out of West Campus...

    I love you soooo much! and I'm so glad that you love everything--you are living the life girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahh!!!! i just got to talk to you, but our internet was lame!!! but am sooo excited for you!!!! and you know why;)
    i am convinced that i have to come to africa!!! and that is soo great that you are learning the language! that's awesome!!

    So as everyone has already said, but just wanted to let ya know again that you are awesome and so amazing! I think about you all the time and i brag about you to everyone!
    alejandro isn't quite the same without you...but i still chuckle to myself...maggieogdo!:) I LOVE AND MISS YOU OH SOOO MUCH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. btw it's krista....ahaha that was my email account from like 8th grade!

    ReplyDelete