Friday, October 22, 2010

"All Masindi Ladies" (to the tune of: "Single Ladies" by Beyonce)

FINALLY, I HAVE INTERNET!!!!! sorry sorry sorry for sucking at updating this blog during training. let me just tell you: nothing really happened. it was training. it was pretty boring. I learned some things, but that's pretty much the extent of my excitement. but I am OFFICIALLY a Peace Corps VOLUNTEER now and no long a measly trainee.  pretty legit if I say so myself. soooo let me fill everyone in:

I am now living in Masindi, a town in Northwestern Uganda. I have learned a fair amount of Runyoro-Rutooro (enough to pass my language test and get by for the next 2 years... hopefully I'll continue picking up more of the language now that I'm actually here. they speak a different language--Luganda--in the town where we trained so I haven't really had the opportunity to practice properly.) I am working at Masindi hospital and will basically be designing a nutrition program (I think... I mean this is still to be determined to a certain extent) but I'm really excited. nutrition in this country is pretty much the opposite of everything we have learned in America, so I'm really having to shift my thinking in regards to everything. and yes, I know I said in the last post that the food was delicious, but I'm pretty sick of it already. beans and rice for the next 2 years, please! oh, yeah we killed our own chicken, cooked it, and ate it during training. (I'm not going to claim that I'm a full vegetarian yet, but...) so yes, I'm living in Masindi with 3 other girls from my group (I'm very thankful for this!--hence "All Masindi Ladies, All Masindi Ladies!" etc, etc.) we are all working at different places but will be there for eachother when things get tough. so that is extremely comforting.

so, what else to tell in this blog update? I think this might be everything I have at the moment. I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed with moving out of the homestay, away from all the other volunteers in my group, and into my new town (bc my house isn't ready at the moment and I have WAAAAYYYY too much stuff to lug around) but yes, all in all, I am a very happy camper and am LOVING this country. I am so excited that the next 2 years of my life is going to be spent here. and thank goodness I can become a real human being again that people can contact whenever they want. oh and I will have a new address but don't have it yet so will let everyone know as soon as I find out. and I will try to get pictures up ASAP.

k, that's all. I'm out. love and miss everyone. talk to you soon!

1 comment:

  1. ahhh i'm soo glad you finally updated!!! I miss you like crazy!!! and I can't believe you have the language down that well!!! that is soo neat!!!! please keep updating!!!
    Designing a nutrition program!! tell more!!! omg JANE would be soo proud!!! i saw her the other day btw!!
    and yes please post pics!! i'm dying to see!
    FYI I still sing maggieogdo at the top of my lungs when i'm driving!!

    ReplyDelete